ARCH 1142 Communications 1 - Drawing Workshop

Tea Cup excercise


Perspective drawing - Rose Seidler House

Reflection

In this workshop I was able to gain an understanding of the important aspects and difficulties of technical drawings. Through the tea cup exercise, completed in the first lesson, I was able to see the difficulties in thinking and drawing in several perspectives, such as thinking how the cup will look in section, elevation and plan. Although it was complicated, I was able to gain a better understanding of each perspective.

The second exercise was a perspective drawing. This allowed us to practice thinking and drawing in perspectives with one or two vanishing points. The “quick exercise” reinforced the idea of have vanishing points in perspective drawings as well as the effects on the objects of the drawing. For example, a wall would seem smaller and smaller as it goes towards the vanishing point. Hence I this is the basic aspect of a perspective drawing.

After the exercise, we began dealing with actual building which are more familiar, such as the Rose Seidler house. From a photography, we produced a perspective drawing, then used different rendering skills to enhance the drawing of the building. At first, I did not realise the importance of rendering in achieving an idea of the building and hence it was too soft. Through the observation of various other ones I understood the need for a stronger rendering pattern as it would emphasise the boldness of the Rose Seidler house.

Throughout this workshop, I have achieved an insight into the purposes of technical drawings and the ways and techniques which could be utilised to enhance the portrayal of the buildings. It has also allowed me to gain more familiarity in dealing with materials such as tracing paper and different types of rulers. I believe this new knowledge which I have understood will be beneficial for my future years of studying architecture.

No comments: