ARCH 1142 Communications 1 - Material Modelling

Cardboard cube (folding)

Cardboard cube (scoring)


Cardboard highlighter

Cardboard house


Balsa Model

Reflection


Through the modelling workshop, I was able to improve my skills on dealing with different types of materials other than balsa wood, such as cardboard, wires and shiny materials etc. Hence I struggled a lot in the first lesson with cutting the cardboard to make the cubes. Furthermore, I have learnt the importance of having a sharp blade to maintain cutting clean edges. Through different techniques of bending, scoring and simple cutting and pasting with cardboard, we were able to create models of anything such as a highlighter.


After we developed a better skill in dealing with cardboard, we made a model of our own home. In completing this homework, I had to take a few measurements and struggled a bit with various tasks. For example, small openings in walls were extremely hard to cut with clean edges and the space between the double walls was hard to keep constant throughout the entire house. However, the replica of someone else’s home in balsa was a lot easier to complete. Cutting was a lot easier and as it was an exact replica, I did not have to take the measurements myself.

our final model, I chose the actions: elevation and addition, where I had elevated the roof and added a platform to the house. The roof is elevated and slanting at an angled support by skewers on one side creating a wall. I had experimented with various stick-like materials to hold up the roof such as wires, tooth-picks but chose skewers in the end as the length could be easily adjusted as well as creating a nice wall effect. Also, the platform, created with a soft, shiny silver material supported by silver wires creates a contrast with the rest of the house in the use of materials.


This workshop has provided me with model making skills which I believe would be useful through the following years in studying architecture.

No comments: