ARCH 1142 Communications 1 - Fluid thoughts to actions

Portfolio
Opera House
Moving Objects
42 drawings

Verbal directives

Reflection

I struggled slightly with the Opera House drawings as I was not very familiar with the concept of movement and fluidity in drawings. However, I did try to achieve this through the technique of overlapping where I drew two different views on top of one another.

Through the second set of drawings, “moving objects”, I was able to gain a better understanding of the concept. I began being more used to the idea of trying to convey movement in a two dimensional drawing. Through my drawings, I attempted to blur various parts of the objects to highlight the transition from one movement to another.

In the collaborative work, I was able to explore this concept further with group members, but this time, through different techniques such as cutting drawings into tiny square pieces, then sticking them back together to create a space.

Also, the 42 drawings completed in the sketchbook consists of charcoal, crayon and pencil, still-life drawings of interior and exterior spaces. Using the skills developed through the workshop, I was able to exercise and experiment with different drawing techniques, portraying various viewpoints and aspects of an interior and exterior.

I have organised my portfolio in a book-like form which can be opened and standing up. Instead of opened up into a horizontal strip, my work is presented in a circular form which should be viewed from the front, as well as the sides and the back.

Through the “Fluid thoughts to actions” workshop, I have gained more thoughts in two dimensional drawings, realising the various ways to achieve movement on a flat piece of paper. Also, through the use of charcoal every week, I have realised that I am now more confident with the use of it.

No comments: